Saturday, December 31, 2011

Author Interview: Steven Shrewsbury


Steven L. Shrewsbury is a fantasy and horror author who has well over 300 tales published online or in print.  He is the creator of  creator of Dack Shannon and the Majestic Universe, as well as the novels Tormentor (Lachesis Publishing), Hawg (Graveside Tales) and Stronger Than Death (Snuff Books).  

He has appeared in many anthologies, most recently Harlan County Horrors from Apex Publications.  Other anthologies include Deathgrip: Legacy of Terror from Hellbound books; Blackest Death-Vol I from BDB; the high fantasy epic Grimoire De Solace from iUniverse, the hardback Cemetery Poets, Scary, Atrocitas Aqua from DDP.

For more information on Steven L. Shrewsbury, please visit his website at www.stevenshrewsbury.com 

-----------------

SOOW: Try to describe your book in one sentence.-

SS: THRALL is an epic adventure that shows courage sometimes arrives in a dented package.

SOOW: Your genre in "Thrall" is "Sword and Sorcery"? Did you choose that genre on purpose, or did you just start writing?

SS: I write many horror or fantasy tales. THRALL just happened to be seen as S&S. Frankly, it's a horror story set back in the days of things long forgotten so S&S works I guess.

SOOW: What inspired you to write, you took any ideas from other books, movies etc?

SS: Ever since I've been a child, I've been telling stories. They just arrive in my head. I used to re-arragne Biblical battles in my sand box until I discovered this was likely to get me sent to hell. I read books by
Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs to start with, then it was off to the races. I never cared for Tolkien really as a youth, but read more horror as I grew up, King, Bloch, Lovecraft, Ellison along with many great sci fi like Heinlein, Bradbury and then Martin and Gemmell.

SOOW: Did you do any research before start or during of the writing of the books?-

SS: I read a great deal on many topics. I'm a real history goof so at times I'll do honest research, but many things in a fiction novel pop in there from years of reading on varied topics. The background in THRALL is set before the flood in a misty era not many know much about. I had some fun with that.

SOOW: Which scenes were the hardest to write?-

SS: The climax was sort of emotionally draining.

SOOW: How long has it taken you to write a book ?-

SS: Some pop out fast. I cna do a first draft in a month, but redrafts and other dressing up for it takes much longer. Each book is a beast unto itself.

SOOW: What's the best part of writing for you?-

SS: The escapism and just letting it out. I can tell a story, enjoy it and share it.

SOOW: Are you reading or writing something else at the moment?-

SS: Reading some old Tim Zahn STAR WARS books at the moment, but yes, I just finished a horror novel and am ready for edits on another.

SOOW: Did you have support at the beginning and/or during your writing?-

SS: No. However, some friends give me that inspiration now.

SOOW: Did you always had in mind to be a writer or it just happened?-

SS: I've been writing down stories since I was 12 I think. Always knew it.

SOOW: How important you find the communication between you and your readers? Do you reply to their messages or read their reviews? -

SS: I love to hear from readers either via the internet or at Cons. If one
writes me on FB or email, I'll answer. I don't answer comments on reviews,
though. Folks are entitled to their opinions.

SOOW: Are you working on any other projects except writing, right now?-

SS" Trying to get stuff in line for Christmas as well as writing.

SOOW: Something special you want to share with us?

SS: In the next week or so Seventh Star Press well start releasing short
tales in eBook format. Two of my tales (featuring Gorias La Gaul from
THRALL) will be in this release. INSURMOUNTABLE and AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF
OUR FLESH. Next year we'll see the release of my horror novel HELL BILLY and
a prequel to THRALL called OVERKILL, um, but dunno if I was supposed to say
the latter yet :)

SOOW: Now some simple questions and more fun:


SOOW: Your favourite books and author?

SS: HOUR OF THE DRAGON by Robert E. Howard; MOTHER NIGHT by Kurt Vonnegut;
BLOODSTONE by Karl Edward Wagner
Those three fellas are my favorite authors, too.

SOOW: Your favourite band/singer?

SS: BLACK SABBATH
Johnny Cash


SOOW: Twitter or Facebook?
SS: Facebook. My fingers are too big for twittering.

SOOW: Favourite place in the world?

SS: My farm

SOOW: Last movie you watched at the cinemas?

FRIGHT NIGHT. Bloody terrible save for David Tennant parts.

SOOW: The last book you've read?

SS: BIGFOOT WAR by Eric S. Brown

SOOW: Have you ever googled yourself?

SS: Sure. More than once, in fact.

SOOW: Writing, reading or hanging out with friends?

SS: Lately, more of the former.

SOOW: If you wouldn't be a writer, what you would be?-

SS: A LUMBER JACK! No, I dunno...a famer. I've lived on a farm my entire life
yet don't farm.

SOOW: And last one....printed or ebooks?

Printed.

Thanks!


2 comments:

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...