Friday, December 30, 2011

Movie Review: All Good Things & The American

About: In 1970s New York City, David Marks (Gosling), the son of a powerful real estate tycoon, marries a beautiful working-class student, Katie McCarthy (Dunst). Together they flee the city for country life in Vermont — only to be lured back by David's father. Upon their return, Katie goes back to medical school while trying to understand David's mood swings and unwillingness to have children. As she becomes increasingly independent, David mysteriously turns more violent and controlling. Family secrets are slowly revealed as Katie disappears without a trace. Years later, when David's best friend turns up dead, the 20-year-old case is re-opened, with David as the main suspect, and the Marks family’s dark secrets pave the way to a disturbing truth.

Review: I saw this movie because of Ryan Gosling. I have seen him in other movies and I was impressed by his performances, but in this one he portrays a whole different kind of character. This movie impressed me because it started and ended in a very different way. The plot was very interesting, it captured the viewer in so many levels. I couldn't stop thinking about it even days after. Kirsten Dunst as Katie Marks was very good at her role too. To sum up, I suggest this movie to those of you, who like romantic dramas, but I have to warn you that it is a very emotionally brutal movie. For me it is a 8/10.



About: An assassin hides out in Italy for one last assignment. The American of the title is Jack (Clooney), a hitman who is living a seemingly idyllic life in Sweden which is quickly shattered when men come to kill him (for reasons never explained). Jack makes it out alive and hides out in a small, beautiful Italian village awaiting instructions from his contact on how to proceed. He’s given a job that requires him to build a specialized rifle for an assassination. However, his life remains in danger and Jack’s (justified) paranoia becomes more intense throughout the film.

Review: The main reason I decided to watch this movie was George Clooney. However, I am not glad I did. The movie was very slow, even though it had action scenes and also it seemed very unrealistic. The classic hit-man “superhero”. I found it very boring, I was looking at my watch, the whole time. My review is very small because this movie had actually no plot. In my opinion it is not a worth watching movie even though George Clooney is the lead actor.


2 comments:

  1. I've seen All Good Things and I loved it, not the story though, but the acting was great....You it was based on a true story??....As for the American, I haven't seen it and now after your review, I'm reconsiderring of watching it....Thank you Athanasia!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nina: yes, it is based on a true story..that makes it even scarier..

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...