Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Old Magic, Review

His name is Jarrod Thomton. He has blond-red hair to his shoulders, nice clean skin and green eyes like fiery emeralds; but this is not why I can't drug my eyes of him. There's something else. Something disturbing....
Kate is at a loss. She meets a boy with extraodinary powers and a bizarre family history that can be traced back to the Middle Ages. But Jarrod doesn't believe in the paranormal. When Kate tries to convince him that he has supernatural powers that need to be hamessed, he doesn't take her seriously, and only puts up with her "hocus pocus" notions because he finds her captiving.
However, the dangerous, uncontrolled strengthening of his gift finally convinces Jarrod that he must take Kate's theories seriously. Together, they emback on a remarkable journey-one which will unravel the mystery that has hung over Jarrod's family for generations and finds them pitted against immence forces in a battle to undo the past and reshape the future.
REVIEW:
This is one of the books that you remember for many reasons. For me, was the first book I've read about magic. One of the first I've read secretly, my parents had no clue since it was school season, while I was on the class-yes, during the lessons- and on the breaks. The first I've shared with my high-school BFF (which is Yiota, by the way).

The story tells about Kate and Jarrod. Kate lives on a small village with her grandma and knows that she has magical powers. Jarrod moves in the same village. Kate recognizes that Jarrod has special powers too and try to convince him. And Jarrod... ...don't believe her. Something will happen and no matter what Jarrod believes, he will have to help Kate.

Now, I know that it doesn't tell you much (please excuse me, but it's been many years since I've read it), but it's a great book for you to read. Maybe it doesn't look like the most of the books you've read, but it's diffirent. Especially with the writing part. Marianne Curley chooses the first person to write. But she uses both of the main characters. For instance, in the first chapter you follow Kate's mind and in the second chapter you follow Jarrod's mind. That makes the book readable to both sexes-girls and boys. The only bad thing that the book has is the lack of adventure. Since it's been written by a woman there is sensitivity, but when it comes to the adventure part, there is not that sparkle that keeps you anxious about the fate of the characters.

Last thing I want to tell you. This is the only book from Marianne Curley that I've read, but I'm sure that the rest of them are as great as this. As you've notice, I have this special bound with the book. So, a review of it had to be placed on the blog. I'm not writing good stuff about Old Magic just because of this bound. The only thing you have to know about me is that I'm objective with the books (and the movies, since I'm writing on this section too). And that I'll never ever spoil an end no matter how much I liked or hated a book (or a movie).

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha...i remember reading in class! I loved that book! I finished it in 7 hours of school and then i bought it too! If i remember right..cause i've read other books in class too.
    That's an important book for me too. 1. Cause the first "love story" book i had in my hands and 2. cause i learned to not judge a book by its cover! I really hate its cover:P

    Andi agree with the review! It is an awesome choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You spoil the end....I said nothing about love story.
    2. I knew what cover I waas picking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The term "love story" doesn't mean it has a good end. It means that in the book there is flirting between 2 characters. Now, you spoiled the end:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah yeah..Whatever..If someone is going to read the book is going to be for the story.

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...