Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June, Book Review

I hugged my sisters and they fit against my sides like two jigsaw pieces that would never fit anywhere else. I couldn’t imagine ever letting them go again, like releasing them would be to surrender the best parts of myself. Three sisters share a magical, unshakeable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood--—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose?
April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds--—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family. They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other.
Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.


The Extraordinary Adventures of April, May and June by Robin Benway
ebook, 282 pages
Published at 2010 by Penguin Group


REVIEW: There are some books that i liked so much when i've read them, that i wish i had read them earlier. And The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June is one of them. I found out about it by mistake. Hadn't read any other review about it. I liked the summary and the cover ( it's so colorful and simple!) really grabbed me that i just needed to see what was really about.

The book is written in the POV of all three sisters. Every chapter a different one, starting by the older to the youngest (April > June). That gives you the chance to see the events, not again from the start, but see what every sister felt and thinking about them. You also get to know the characters really good and understand in a way that after some time you can think exactly like them at each chapter and see the reasoning of their actions even if you agree or not. In general the book, is an easy and light read without unnecessary scenes or floating with descriptions but exactly the right amount of everything that's needed to keep you in.

What really i loved about it though, was the story. Girls have magic powers is not new but the main plot is different than everything i met with magic or fantasy. You see, in this one there is no magic world, prophecies, war, magical creatures, etc. It's just the teen world. School, family stuff, relationships, friendship. And the girls just happen to gain powers. So you have April using her power for taking better care of her sisters, May being invisible when she wants (not much of a people's person) and June knows the secrets of everyone and trying to be popular. Now you will tell me "isn't that a bit swallow?". No, it's not. It's everyday life. You see how close a family can be. How friendship is. How someone is afraid of getting attached. How someone could get into trouble for being naive. Like you get a power, but you don't get to save the world :P

The Extraordinary Secrets. of April, May and June became one of my favorites from the very first chapters. I had fun reading and felt good when it ended. It made me a bit nostalgic of my 14-17 years old time. Plus, it's so easy to re-read it again and again. This one goes at my top books of the year and obviously i recommend it, especially now it's summer and you need fresh and cool reads.

7 comments:

  1. And I thought that it was a normal book, you know, no magic and stuff....
    Glad you liked it, you're true about the cover, it reminds spring/summer....
    I'd love to read it someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, love the title and the cover! Thanks for writing such a good review. We'll be adding this to the TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the review, I have actually seen this book around a bit but I hadn't taken the time to read about it. I am surprised by how refreshing it sounds. I listen to books at work so I go through them pretty quickly. Which has made me notice how similar so many books are, especially the newer ones. I am actually excited to break up my usual monotony with this title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wuv dis book! DID U WUV IT CUZ I WUV IT. i wuv u 2 dont wowy bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such a well written review. I've seen this book around ,and its cover and idea really got me interested. The only thing I worry about is the age this book is geared to. Im 16 years old and a little worried that it is too young for me. Any thoughts?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's too young. The characters are around that age too :)

      Delete
  6. Correction ^ two *

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...