Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Books VS Movies: Inkheart

Story Summary: Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.
Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Where The Book Wins:
The biggest difference between the book and the movie is the action scenes and the characters. You get to know and unite with the characters much more in the book and live in their world too. The action scenes have a bit more violence than the movie, and feel more dangerous. Plus, the book continues the story with two more books when the movie gives the story a different ending and stops.

Published at 2003





Where The Movie Wins:
Firstly, it gives real life to the characters. The casting is almost perfect, especially for the role of Mo. If i'm right, even at the book says that the author had pictured Brendan Frasher as Mo. The story of the book became reality without big changes (except the ending) and is really good they sticked up to that. The special effects and the music, create the world in the book as it was imagined and sometimes even better. Also where sometimes the book is getting boring with the details, the movie make the details enjoyable by giving you a fast tour of the Inkheart world without tiring you.

Released at 2008

Final Winner: The Inkheart Movie

In case you have seen the movie too or read the book, do you agree with our final winner?

13 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to watch the movie so that I can see how it compares to the book but I haven't gotten around to it. Though I enjoyed the second book in the series more than the first

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I HATED the movie. I thought the casting was terrible and they changed way too many things from the original story. It's so funny how subjective things like this can be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Too much details were removed and replaced. The flow of events were too fast to explain much and the ending... was disappointing. The events that they removed were the MAIN CAUSE for the advancement of the story to a higher level. They should have followed the book.

      Delete
  3. @Simcha: I like the next books more as well. Especially the third.

    @Shannon: Hahaha..the total opposite! I guess everyone sees different things as important. But hated that much? I didn't expect that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all movies by Brendan Fraser !
    And I was excited that he was going to star in this movie since I only read the first book and was not going to read the rest.

    I thought this movie followed the book to it's letters ! Seriously, the time line was almost impeccable ! It seriously felt like "watching" the book itself.
    In another word, dull.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually preferred the book, it drew me in so much! The movie was brilliant too and it would have been hard to create a better version but I don't feel anything can live up to the book- my whole family love it so much!
    I agree with the casting of Mo, that was perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also preferred the book! It was so action packed. I really got to know the characters more in the book. The movie still rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In fact, it depends upon the story itself. In some cases, I'd prefer a book; in other ones, it's better to watch a movie... This is a rule for me! Just read one more post - it's can be found at http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/books-vs-movies-what-is-more-suspenseful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the movie. In the article above it said the book ended differently. Can someone tell me how it differs. I do plan to read the book, because I picked up the sequels in mint condition at a thrift store :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I much preferred the book, because I didn’t love some of the changes the movie made. However, I also could see this being a hard movie to film if it stuck too close to the book, as there just weren’t many of those dramatic scenes common to movie. But I felt the book just fits for this story better. Its a story all about the written word, and reading that in book form is so different. Plus the characters (and Dustfiner/Resa’s relationship) were much better fleshed out in the book.

    However, it was still a decent movie. The main thing I didn’t love was in the movie Meggie writing what she then read aloud, because in the book they always said someone else had to write it (or Mo would have just written Resa out himself). That just bothered me because it seemed to break rules established in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dustfinger*
      My bad. I typed this on my phone and didn’t notice the typo!

      Delete
  10. It's no value in what period of time war is always a evil for society. It has a huge impact on all field of country life. My article which are related to this topic you can checked on https://prime-resume.com/blog/how-long-should-a-resume-be-in-2019/.

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...