Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mass Effect 2 Review


Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released for the Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows and, from the second installment, for the PlayStation 3. The first game in the planned trilogy centers around a player created character named Commander Shepard and their mission to save the galaxy from a race of mechanical beings known as the Reapers, and its followers, including the brainwashed Saren Arterius. The first game sees Shepard facing Sovereign, a Reaper left as a vanguard, who plans to allow the Reaper fleet currently hibernating in extra-galactic dark space to invade the Milky Way and destroy all sapient organic life, continuing a mysterious cycle of destruction. The second game takes place two years later, and sees Shepard battling the Collectors, an alien race abducting entire human colonies in a plan to help the return of the Reapers. The third and final game will likely center on the final battle against the Reapers.
Since the beginning the series has been a major critical success. Both games have received critical acclaim for their storyline, characters, voice acting, choices, and the depth of the galaxy.[1][2] Video game website, GamesRadar, called Mass Effect the best new franchise of the generation, saying that the galaxy was so well-constructed that it felt like a decades-old franchise and that it represented "a high-water mark for video games as a story-telling medium."[3]

REVIEW *radio on* This is Commander Johnny speaking, do are we clear? GAH! I have told you before Bauss, dont sneak up on me! Ok. I am commencing the review. All systems go.
Now, as many of you do NOT know I have a preference for Sci Fy stories. For some reason I kinda like them more than many fantasy stories. I do not know why. DONT JUDGE ME! Now, on to the review. I love this game. Though I have not played the first, for some reason, I loved this game. It is just amazing! The graphics are wow! gameplay? easy to learn and challenging to master! the story is amazing! the characters are epic (the picture is of Tali Zorah Vas Normandy, she is just amazing. Personal favorites are Tali, Garrus, Jack, Kasumi and Thane, though all of them are awesome). It is just an amazing game. I have played it over and over again to unlock stuff and experience the different awesome classes! This game is a must for all gamers, especially those that are into sci fy stuff like me.

Now Yiota asked a good question. She asked why I like those things? Well good question my Baws (lonely Island refference).
Now, the graphics were extremely realistic and breathtaking, I felt i was watching and playing a movie! Although they still lack the awesomeness of movies, they are really really good, you really feel like you watch a movie more than you play a game.
The gameplay? it is interesting how it combines the first person shooters with the rpg genre. You can walk around, duck behind cover, use your powers but mostly it focuses around you aiming and gunning down your enemies.
The characters are deep and each has his own personality and story and they are all worth the time you have to spend to learn them and do their own personal missions.

The storyline is interesting and although many hardcore sci-fyers might find it a bit cliched, I found it really well built, it made sense. It was not just hey hello we are an evil alien race that just wants to kill everything, nothing personal. Everything has an explanation and a reason. It is a well orchestrated story, well build and with some interesting plot twists. To end with I think that the classes you are called upon to choose are really responding to their gameplay meaning that they are straightforward and are focused on a particular way of playing that you can adjust to your personal game style but they WILL orient you towards a certain way. What I mean? well lets take 2 classes for instance, the Vanguard and the Sentinel. The vanguard is an offensive class, with an awesome charge ability that you practically charge and fall right in the face of an enemy. Since that is so aggressive some people might say, hmmm then I need to just up some defensive stuff and he will be the absolute player. Well guess what my friend! You cant do that! You will have to adjust your way of playing to compensate for the fact that you will charge in the face of an enemy so you wont be stupid enough to charge in the middle of 15 enemies and generally play aggressively but not carelessly.
On the contrast, the Sentinel is a more defensive character that if played correctly simply cant die. So you will have to make sure your character uses that, by being something like a tank person. Kill the weak enemies since you can take on plenty of fire, so your companions wont die. Off course the way you choose to play your class is clearly up to you, since you can use combinations of the class's skills to suit your gamestyle.

Overall I think it is a very fascinating game, worth the time spend and it is certainly worth playing for all, story-music-gameplay etc. I have to go now, we have an possible hostile incoming at our 6. ENGAGE DEFENSIVE MANEUVERS *radio off*

(NOTE: I have had a severe argument with paragraphs as you all might noticed, so Yiota makes sure they come to my posts. They like her, but I dont talk to them)

4 comments:

  1. everytime you write i laugh more than take notice at the actual review...haha..soz!

    the pic you picked is creeping me out! XD

    and remind me to tell you something tomorrow...now of you go to protect us while i sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. almost perfect game, I completed it 4 times with different characters and I have kept the saves in 3 different pcs and on an online server ( just to be sure ) while i'm waiting for Mass Effect 3 :D

    P.S. I always made female characters, I have a thing for female heroes in rpg games ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make male ones just because I like to relate to them, but on a debate on to why each people chose their genre in rpg's the best answer which i TOTALLY find funny/awesome was "I make a female character because if I have to spend 4 hours on a game I would much more like to stare at a woman's ass than a males"

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup that can be a valid explanation :D

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...