Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sucker Punch Positive Review

A young girl is institutionalized by her abusive stepfather. When her mother dies her stepfather is free to act as he wants so when he tries to harm the younger sister of the heroine she snaps and shoots a gun at her stepfather but she missed and killed her sister. As a result she is put in a mental institution that is no more than a cover for a prostitution network. Retreating to an alternative reality as a coping strategy, the main heroine envisions a plan which will help her escape from the mental facility.

Director: Zack Snyder
Writers: Zack Snyder (screenplay), Steve Shibuya (screenplay), Zack Snyder (story)
Stars: Emily Browning, Vanessa Hudgens and Abbie Cornish

Review:

Barkeep hit me with another one please, we have a long and hard conversation here with these newbies. So, you guys think that if an action doesn’t make sense it shouldn’t be executed? Well, I can tell you that every seasoned secret operative, and every seasoned commander in fact, knows by experience that an action that doesn’t make sense right now can be the indicator that the enemy plans something big, so don’t just say “look the fool is shooting at the stars” but instead try to check where the bullets will land. That reminds me of a movie I recently saw called Sucker Punch.

The main heroine looked like a character from manga, she even had a Japanese school uniform (kind of) and a katana, but she had some terrible expressions that I personally think were in order to pass to us the pain which losing her mother, her sister and be abused by her stepfather caused. The “real” world sucked a bit but that is just the point, to cope with this sucky reality she escaped into an imaginary world where her subconsciousness figured out a way for her to escape the mental facility.

In that world she was a badass warrior with a katana and a 9mm pistol that kicked asses of almost everything you can imagine, from orcs to dragons and giant robot samurais with miniguns. The imaginary worlds were very intense. The special effects were great, each one of the stories she invented could be a movie by itself and the fighting scenes were really badass. There were even nazi zombies there !!!

The only thing I didn’t like about this movie was the ending and I will not say why because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. But even so the movie was very fun to watch so I don’t regret watching it. Also you can’t think about physical laws or overpowered characters or underpowered characters because you have to keep in mind that it is the heroine’s fantasy world so anything she wants is done.
Finally, I have to say that the acting was great from almost all the actors especially Abbie Cornish, Carla Gugino and Oscar Isaac, who made me to really hate him as the bad guy. Overlord informed me that the main heroine’s, Emily Browning, facial expressions were too bad but I explained why I think that it made sense above.

Many people, especially in US, found the movie not so good but I believe it’s a good movie, it has excellent effects, good acting, not so good for my tastes but adequate soundtracks and a sound story, what else do you people want from a movie? It even skips the boring sentimental self-doubting moments of other action films :D

Yiota's Sucker Punch Negative Review.

16 comments:

  1. i have mixed feelings from your review, i am not sure i wanna watch this movie, but in some parts you made it sound really interesting, anyway i'll w8 for the others to comment too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will do the negative review in a while XD this was a bad movie whatever you say XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this movie. Unfortunately, my reactions mirror Yiota's. But it's interesting to read another viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXACTLY! Everything I do makes no sense, but it is all carefully planed to confuse our enemies......most of the times.


    I will see this movie definetelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to see it, but unfortunately I don't have much time. So I hope that it'll be still in theaters next weekend. But ur review looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello!!
    i saw the movie just now!! i was really impressed, and i have nothing negative to say :p. so i definitely prefer this review!
    i loved the music-especially in the beggining, it gave me the chills!
    the story got me in from the beggining, i found it interedting, and i was looking forward to see what happens next!
    i also liked that the storyline was like a video game-it would be a good one actually!!
    (and i think i am the only one that liked the expression of that girl! kind of focused to escape or something!)
    overall the movie made me excited for its storyline, the graphics, and the action,
    it made me anxious(in a good way), it made me sad in some points (..), and i really wanna see it again :p!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree with vailaras. This was a great movie. I especially liked the music which was amazing. To make it short, I completely disagree with Yiota :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. -the music was good i liked it
    -the acting was bad, but there were some exceptions like Oscar Isaac, who made a perfect bad guy
    -the special effects were cool, but in some scenes i thought they were fake, like the train if you remember it
    -the school uniform the main heroine wore was so sexist
    -i liked the ending, it was fair
    -how can you say that "the movie was very fun to watch", it wasn't fun, it was sick do i have to remind you of rape, forced prostitution and being held against your will?
    -i would have enjoyed it much more if there was no abuse (emotional + physical)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that movie. It was so DEMENTED! I loved it! THe action scenes were amazing and the 3d must have been great! Special effects amazing, music good, acting not that good but not bad either. You have to like things like that. It reminded me of American McGees Alice. It has a common ground

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Johnny: didn't you find the fight scenes too predictable? For some reason i did, and i couldn't enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Yiota: the point for the action scenes were to be fucking awesome. Predictability didnt count, so I found them awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Johnny: different expectations then

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Yiota: no. you are just wrong
























    WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I know realized I haven't wrote my comment for this one....I saw it in the cinema as well, and I have to agree with the guys....Silvestro thnx for the info, I had no idea it was called katana, and Johnny with your comment you just spoke my mind....

    By the way, Silvestro you write really good....

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Nina you are welcome Nina, that is why I am here for, for funny comments and speaking for everyone :P

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...